Monday, September 15, 2008

The Yard Sale Queens


It is official. I have an obsession. This summer I have discovered how fun it is to go yard saling. I have found some awesome deals, and due to my incredible powers of persuasion, or other peoples incredible desire to get rid of their crap, I have yet to pay the marked price on anything. But even more fun than going, has been hosting. I have done three this summer. The last two have been with my good friends Amy Hawkes and Becki Jones. The three of us are becoming quite seasoned. We've even gotten our husbands and kids joining in the fun, most of all Adam Hawkes who has become a yard sale king. He even has hung up "Used Car Lot" flags for us to draw more attention. And it has definetly worked. All said and done, we made over $1500 during the two that we've done. We've decided infact, to make it a biannual occasion, having one at the end of the Spring and another at the beginning of fall.

The most interesting thing to me in observing the frequent yard saler, is what is junk to us, is so useful to other people. We often commented that it is always interesting to see what people find to buy at yard sales. At our first earlier this summer, we sold a lot of clothes, at the second hardly any. At the second we sold about 25 board games, with the help of another friend who joined us for the second, Andrea Baugh, and at the first we didn't even have games. But, you know what they say, one womans trash, anothers treasure! Here's to a new tradition that will keep us in the money for years to come!

8 comments:

Answer to Many said...

You are the Yard Sale Queen! It was so much fun! Thanks for including me.

The Jones :) said...

Yeah for people liking and wanting my crap so I can have more money!! woo hoo!! It's been fun...and here's to collecting more for next season!! You're great!!

Lisa and Josh said...

I love the picture of Brad and Chase at the top! When did you have yard sales!? Let me know next time so I can come!

Tambi Lane said...

You have to get on to our family site also. www.tambilane.blogspot.com

Love you!

Grandma Bowen said...

Caradon - I'm excited for you! It was interesting to read about your experiences with Chase's eye. Loved the picture of him on Brad's shoulders. His smile is one of pure joy! Best wishes in this new hobby, and thanks for letting us in on the fun. --- Mom Bowen

Unknown said...

I am still celebrating the departure of all of my CRAP! Thanks for being such a "classy" yard sale queen... last time I had a yard sale it was so "trashy" (smiles)

Matt Bowen said...

Hey Caradon, I love the blog! This picture of Brad w/ Chase is a keeper for sure! Great job and lotsa love,

Matt

Julie said...

Hi Bowens! Very cute blog. I am really getting into this blog things. I love it! Let me know when you have another yard sale. Chase is sooooo cute, and he is always smiling. Love, Julie