Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Little Fun and Church History

Well, Monday morning Brad decided he didn't want to go into work, so he called in sick, and he got it in his head that we needed to go to the zoo. Going to the zoo is something we always talk about, but have never done together. It had been about 15 years since Brad went, and at least 10 for me, and that was in Oregon. I had never been to Hogle Zoo. So we decided to go as a family. It was really fun and we got some cute pictures.

First, we went on the train.....
Then we "monkeyed" around in the gift shop...
Finally we saw some of the animals. The giraffes were Brad's favorite.


On the way home I noticed we passed the "This is The Place" monument. As someone who really loves Church History, I felt we needed to stop for a minute. It was an amazing feeling knowing I was standing where Brigham Young stood when he first looked over the Salt Lake valley and knew the Saints didn't have to travel any further. I was a little emotional.
Being there made me proud of mine and Brad's pioneer ancestry and the sacrifices they made to settle Utah. What a great heritage.
It also reminded me how far-reaching the Church is. The man who took our picture was visiting Utah from Ireland. He had his neice with him who was in the States for the first time. Pretty cool!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I am glad you had an opportunity to go.

Karla said...

Sounds like a fun day to be "sick"

Last time I was at the "This is the Place" I was pregnant with Emily. I would totally like to go back, have atrually been thinkig of getting a annual pass. Glad you guys had such a great time.

Great pics!!

Party of Five said...

That's great! Yeah, we haven't been to the Hogle Zoo yet either!